Wednesday 8 May 2013

My Mane Concern: Caring for my Curls.

Have I mentioned that my hair is disgustingly hard to manage? Well it is. But I'm fairly happy with my routine at the moment so I figured I would do a post about it.

First off, the wet hair products. 
I do suffer with dandruff sometimes, especially when I'm stressed. You would be forgiven for thinking it was snowing outside from glancing at my shoulders when I'm going through a particularly difficult period of anxiety. So even though this is not designed for curly hair, or a product which enhances my curls it's part of my routine so I included it. I use this normally once every 10-14 days, lathering it into a wet scalp, leaving it for 4-5 mins, and then rinsing before shampooing.

My regular shampoo and conditioner for taming and controlling my curls is from the naked range. They are paraben free (which apparently is a good thing. It doesn't bother me what's in a product as far as my hair is concerned, I just want it to behave) and smell delicious! Kind of fresh and sweet at the same time. If I'm not using Nizoral before, then I'll shampoo twice. Either way, I then blot my hair with a towel and put a load of conditioner through the lengths and ends and leave it on for a good 5 minutes before rinsing for at least 2 minutes. 

The damp hair products.
After towel drying my hair, I'll start layering on products to tame, reduce frizz, increase shine, define, and soften. I'm currently trying to use up the John Frieda Full Repair Perfect Ends Deep Infusion Serum because I don't really find it does anything for my hair. I prefer the John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength Hair Serum - around £7 which is the one in the purple bottle. It's a Holy Grail product for me and I can't wait to go back to it. 

Either way, I take one or two pumps of John Frieda, and mix them with one or two pumps of L'Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Oil and kind of, shake it through my hair.... What I mean by that I that I rub the concoction between my palms and ruffle it through the lengths and ends, scrunching as I go. I run the top/front of my hair through my fingers to tame that area too. 

Then, it's the curl cream. I've not found one I think has reached HG potential. I've got a wide range I'm trying to work through at the moment and currently I'm on BedHead Foxy Curls Contour Cream. It smells *amazing*. I think it's like sherbet lemons, or some other classic sweet that makes me do an "ahhhhh" every time I sniff it. I dispense about 3 pumps into my hands, scrunch that through the underneath of my hair, and twist it through sections of the top of my hair. It starts off looking a bit like make-believe dreadlocks but as it dries it develops a more defined curl. 


 If I'm wanting to go for a slightly tighter curl then mousse is my best friend. I really like this, but I also really like a boots own brand mousse. They both do the same job. The secret with mousse is to not overuse. Know your limits. Too much mousse is bad for the soul.

The dry hair products & the extras.
So, with all of the above, and my hair left to dry naturally we are usually left with something that resembles this:


It can still use some extra definition so I normally just go over random sections with a curling wand. My curling want is a super cheap one, and a super old one, by a brand called Style Studio I think? It goes up to 230 degrees so I always have heat protection that goes up to that temperature on hand. 

That will normally keep me going for half a week at least. If there are any bits that look a bit frizzy or flat, I spray Umberto Giannini Curl Friends Natural Curls styling spray, and roll those sections into loose pin curls (which I may do I tutorial on later on) and head to bed. In the morning I usually only have to take out the curl clips and give a little scrunch and a swoosh of hair spray and I am away! 

If anyone has any recommendations of HG products for curly hair, or would like to see a tutorial on pin curls or anything else, let me know :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment